The South Cheshire Business Networking Group
Today at the Yours Cafe in Nantwich – Stuart Walton from Conspicuous CBM Ltd, Staffordshire’s leading referral marketing consultancy talked about the errors that stop networking groups from prospering” to an audience South Cheshire & North Staffordshire business owners who attend the South Cheshire Business Club entitled “21 Errors Stopping Your Networking Group From Growing!”
Stuart presented the 21 Errors he has seen over his long career with networking that impact a group’s ability to get the most out of Business Networking. These are:
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 1 – So are you joining us then? …. Over the table
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 2 – Passing referrals to guests
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 3 – Guests arriving before the exec team & members arrive
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 4 – Not having a group goal or flag to rally round
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 5 – Not keeping track of business generated & reporting results
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 6 – No understanding of the Club rules
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 7 – Accepting the wrong applicant
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 8 – I’ll give you this business if you join…
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 9 – Inviting people to a networking event!
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 10 – Butting in, being funny, etc. when people doing their 60 secs
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 11 – No one assigned to look after a specific Guest
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 12 – All telling & selling and no asking & listening
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 13 – Saying to a Guest – “oh we do that”
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 14 – Superficial networking with Little or No follow-up
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 15 – Not contributing – “I’m too busy”
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 16 – Giving apologies, excuses etc
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 17 – Too many quick fix merchants as Members…
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 18 – It’s not what’s said – it’s all about the behaviours
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 19 – I’m not a morning person
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 20 – Quality guest from influential company & all sell to them
- EMBARRASSING ERROR 21 – What are your Embarrassing Error?????
What Stuart did not cover in this presentation but highlighted to the audience has guaranteed “Networking Group Killers” from any members if not done properly were:
The original presentation with extra discussion and explanation points has been uploaded to Slideshare
Following the presentation, members discussed with Stuart Walton what errors the group was committing and how to get the most out of networking for their businesses. The feedback from the attendees from the questions at the meeting and afterwards on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn was incredibly positive – many thanks for all the kind comments and testimonials.
Many thanks to the executive team and past Chairman Tom Parry for inviting us to speak. Look out for the South Cheshire Business Club online and get yourself invited to the next meeting to meet local businesses through networking in the region.
If you want to book us to speak at an event in Staffordshire and surrounding counties to speak about networking, referral marketing, reputation and social media the please get in contact via LinkedIn.
The Conspicuous CBM Call To Action
If you know of any other great experts from Staffordshire, the West Midlands or beyond whose ideas we should share with all our readers then please let us know via the comments or via LinkedIn.
If you want to discuss your referral marketing, social media, business networking needs & how to get the most out of them, then please do get in touch with us via LinkedIn. Feel free to connect with us LinkedIn, subscribe to our newsletter or our Superstars of Networking tips series via this website.
Read what our customers say about us on our Testimonials Page – CLICK HERE TO READ